This article will give you every detailed information about the two online course platforms so that you could choose for yourself the winner in the competition of Teachable vs Podia.
Do you ever feel like you are good at something/ a field and hope to give classes or training courses for people online and make it into an actual lucrative business? Well, that’s exactly what online course creation platforms are for, they will help you to build your own online courses and make money from them.
Find more detail at below:
Online course platforms and what are they for?
The online course creation platforms nowadays are so popular that you have tons of platform options for finding your best one that can fit best with your own style of teaching. However, today, we will only talk about the two online course creation platforms, which are Teachable and Podia. Each of the two, apparently, has their own unique features and performance motive that would suit best for different groups of creators. Therefore, the only way to find out which one is designed for you is to do a comparison between them. Ok, let’s start.
What is Teachable and Podia?
Teachable - All-in-one courses platform for beginners.
What is Teachable?
Teachable is the most well-known and trustable online course builder for beginners in the world at the moment. Up till now, there’re more than 35,000 courses of all sizes and subjects by over 22,000 instructors were created to instruct an amount of approximately 7 million students all over the world on Teachable.
Indeed, with its popular, simplicity and generic platform with a bit of advanced infrastructures, Teachable offers many of the essential tools and features that are very user friendly that you need to create and deliver an appealing, interesting and engaging online course as well as you could build the whole course without knowing any related technical skills. At the same time, it is super easy to use, not to mention its beginner-friendly pricing.
As one of its famous reviews is: “Even if you have coding knowledge or technical skill, you can still set up your course on Teachable and start selling it."
- Unlimited students for each course.
- Course creation setting.
- Blended Learning
- Coaching program creation setting.
- Built-in Course Authoring
- Instant payouts (Teachable Payments; PayPal users receive payments monthly).
- Custom domain support
- Two levels of admin user.
- Integrated email marketing.
- Third-party integrations.
- Training courses for creators are available.
- Ability to create coupon codes.
- Mobile Learning
- Video Conferencing
Who is it for?
Teachable is the best platform for course creators who wish to have full control of their courses design, branding, list building, customizing, selling, etc. And also, with those who want the ultimate marketing integrations. Teachable marketing and analytics are so powerful that you can also integrate with many ESPs.
- Complete control over your content.
- Publish or unpublish your courses at any time.
- Friendly to beginners and those who have no technical skill.
- Free Plan for practicing and for those who have tight budgets.
- Offer one time payment, payment plan or subscription to course.
- Clean and clear design for both viewers and instructors.
- Accept payment from over 130 currencies.
- Friendly with iOS devices.
- Offers learning tools like graded quizzes, content dripping, certificates, etc.
- Offers many integrations with third-party apps.
- Useful marketing tools with a well-optimized checkout process, 1-click upsells, etc.
- Supports Apple Pay and Google Pay on native gateways.
- Limited site building capability.
- Limited to the offerings of the site templates.
- Need additional third-party software to send drip email.
- No corporate sales option.
- No course accreditation.
- Limited pricing and payment options for recurring subscriptions.
- Has direct integration with few third-party marketing tools.
- There is a 30 day delay on payout on the Basic plan.
- Open and close courses can be complicated.
Podia - Business-like course builder
What is Podia?
Podia is a course creation builder founded in 2014 and is trusted by more than 25,000 creators from all over the world. Although Podia is small in scale in comparison to Teachable, it’s undoubtedly one of the most friendly, fun, innovative and easy-to-build platforms in the market. With Podia, you are free to be a content creator and business manager online at the sametime.
In addition to supporting courses creating, selling, digital downloading, membership subscription, Podia also offers tons of marketing features like mobile learning, membership creating, off-site buttons, checkout services, designing blogs or webinars, and updating your subscribers with ease, email marketing tools, affiliate marketing features for thousands of creators and millions of viewers every month, – Podia is indeed what you need to start a business online for you to build your own desired brand.
Besides offering an accessible platform that everyone can use to create and sell online courses, this platform can also build membership sites, or sell digital products, Literally, Podia offers the functionality of creating your own store. And you don't have to publish anything live to the web until you're 100% satisfied with it.
According to one of the platform's famous reviews from its customer:” Podia allowed me to set up my store front in an hour and start accepting payments. With Podia I can invest my time on the most important thing for any business, which is my customers.”
- Unlimited hosting included
- Integrations to Google Analytics, Facebook Pixel and more.
- Support 11 languages and 22 currencies.
- Support various devices such as desktops, tablets, mobile phones, etc.
- Drip content that gives viewers immediate access to your courses.
- Pre-sell and Pre-launch courses available.
- Support any file such as eBooks, PDFs, cheat sheets, checklists, video, audios, text and more.
- Schedule and sell in advance any time in the future.
- Earn passive income from replays.
- Drip email campaigns
- Build funnels
- Trac + analyze performance in courses.
- Help people even when creators are not there.
Who is it for?
Podia is equipped with its own unique features that are designed for creators, developers, marketers, administrators, entrepreneurs, and more who want to build their online business by selling online courses, memberships, and webinars. While Podia does target course creators, their services also extend to entrepreneurs looking for a wider audience for their business.
Pros & Cons
- Person-to-Person Customer Support
Podia always makes sure that whenever you open the live chat window on their website, you will speak to a real-life person,not the automatic consulting system.
- Hassle-Free Migration
In case you want to switch to another service, Podia is willing to offer you the hassle-free migration option with the Annual Plan, or by pre-paying $249 into your Podia account.
Membership features offer learners the most profitable ways to start with your courses because of its various features in promotion in sales.
- Immediate Payouts
Podia delivers the money you earn from selling your own courses back to you immediately without a holding period or waiting for transaction time.
- Simple Pricing, No Transaction Fees
Podia’s pricing is easy, simple and at a very reasonable price, so you can scale your business without ever having to face daunting monthly subscription fees.
- No Completion Certificates
No awarding course completion certifications or quality tests or class quizzes from Podia even when you have all the content features on the platform.
- Limited Customization Options
While Teachable can give you tons of useful features for building your courses, Podia's customization abilities, both in terms of course and website building, are indeed very limited.
- Limited Email Marketing Tools
Wth limited email marketing tools, the platform only permits you to drip-feed your email campaigns to unlimited users and subscribers. That also leads to when creators wish to create and run more complex campaigns, you'll have to integrate Podia with third-party software.
- No Course Marketplace
Similar to Teachable, Podia's lack of an online course marketplace. However, it doesn’t mean you'll have to make more effort to market yourself and drive traffic to your site
The similarities and differences between Teachable and Podia
Podia has 0% transaction fees on all of its plans, whereas, Teachable charges 5% on its Basic package.
Podia provides users with live chat support and Teachable only offers that feature on its Professional plan.
Teachable provides a limited free plan for courses with up to 10 viewers, and Podia only offers a 14-day free trial.
You can only sell membership with Podia.
Teachable has more advanced customization options for your courses.
Only Teachable allows creators to register multiple admin-level users.
Only Teachable enables course completion certifications.
Similar email and affiliate marketing capabilities
Both platforms allow you to build and sell your online courses.
Both platforms enable you to use your own web domain, or you can utilize their subdomain to get started with.
Support customers via email and live chat.
Allow selling unlimited courses and products to as many students as you want with their paid plans.
Both provide users with an intuitive drag-and-drop editor for customizing the structure of your online course and your website.
What do viewers/learners prefer about Teachable and Podia?
Easy and simple use/set up
Podia is very simple to use for a beginner. You can easily create courses, without being overwhelmed with complicated features.
Teachable has streamlined processes that can help you in your teaching. You can add courses, design your ‘classroom’, and launch a recorded lecture right away.
Both Podia and Teachable are reported to have great customer support throughout the years. While the Teachable consultant system supports their partners with 24/7 services, Podia indeed satisfies its creators with real life people on the other end of the line.
Features and Functionality
Even though Teachable and Podia are designed to serve different groups of customers and different courses building purposes, they are both highly evaluated by their own creators because of their own specialized features.
Teachable vs Podia-What is better?
To figure out which one between Teachable and Podia is the best online course platform, let’s get started by looking at some of the major things that you should consider when looking at a course builder, which are:
Easy of use
With Podia Editor, you are free to add in sections which can include product details, pictures, video testimonials, as well as frequently asked questions. Moreover, Podia’s website allows you to create all kinds of pages such as reviews, landing, contact, and homepages, sales funnel for automatically redirecting consumers to make a purchase. Also, there is a drag and drop tool available for placements, and customizable themes for your store.
With Teachable, you have a coursepro page builder and editor with a drag and drop feature for efficient personalization. You also have libraries to store your materials. There are templates/features available for customize background scheme, texts, fonts, sizes of contents.
With Teachable, you need to use 2 things in order to activate the membership: Subscription pricing + Bundling of courses.
With Podia, the platform is designed for a business launching courses, you already have the functionality as a separate app and all you need to do is to head over to the membership section on the platform.
Customer support/ Customization
Both Podia and Teachable are reported to have great customer support throughout the years. While the Teachable consultant system supports their partners with 24/7 excellent services, Podia indeed satisfies its creators with real life people on the other end of the line.
Mover at $39. If you pay on an annual basis, you can save $78.
Shaker at $79. If you pay on an annual basis, you can save $158.
Basic at $39. Discount price per month is $29.
Pro at $119. Discount price per month is $99.
Business at $299. Discount price per month is $249.
Sales and Marketing features
Podia provides creators with all the features and tools to create an online business launching with educational contents. Meanwhile, Teachable provides us plenty of customizable and high-converting templates/options for our sales pages. These are designed to draw in as many leads as possible. Teachable highly customizable design options, is where this platform really shines.
Payment processors are a basic factor to turn your classes into a lucrative online business. In order to start getting money from your students, you need to set up your payment processors in both Teachable and Podia websites. Teachable provides learners with credit cards paying method (via Stripe express) or PayPal. To begin with, learners are free to choose between get funds daily, weekly, or monthly.
For Podia, it integrates with Stripe and Paypal for payment processing. Once the payment is done, it will be sent to your bank account or your PayPal account within 2 business days. Moreover, Podia will not charge you any transaction fee, unlike Teachable.
Affiliate managementPodia and Teachable both give you the power to set up your own affiliate programs. This comes in handy if you want to encourage students to recommend your course to others – or if you have colleagues or friends in your industry who can promote your e-course to their audience. However, Podia allows you to set up an affiliate program a little more cheaply than Teachable.
Conclusion - Which is your best online course platform?
Choose Podia if:
- You’re looking for a lucrative online course building platform and want to add in products and services besides courses.
- You're moving from another platform and want unlimited subscribers, 0% transaction fees and packages in your membership sites.
- You want to sell memberships with the separate membership creation features and to have a greater number of integrations.
- You want to live teaching, communicating with people in real time.
- You’re a singular instructor, working on your own.
Choose Teachable if:
- You love teaching, coaching and interacting with traditional learners.
- You want to have a school and classroom style interface of your own with more customization features.
- You want to officially own a certificated online course trusted by people to design course completion certificates for students.
- You want tracking reports on your students and courses.
- You want multiple channels of customer support such as a knowledge base, workshops, and a community within the platform.
- You're an extensive operation with a more flexible budget and wish to work with other instructors.
Both Podia and Teachable are great platforms. They have their own strengths and weaknesses. However, if you are an online course creator who only looks for a website of your own and wishes for all the most powerful course creation customizing features, you better go with Teachable.