Excellent online security is crucial for every user because we often keep a lot of important data on our computers and it shouldn’t get into the wrong hands. As you will see in our Bitdefender 2018 review, this software delivers outstanding protection against any threat imaginable. With its continuous updates, Bitdefender 2018 can keep away all types of malware or ransomware, which is a priority nowadays.
This new version has improved features, as well as some new options that will completely protect your privacy and keep your computers malware-free. The app will not slow down your devices and it can work in the background without causing any issues with performance. It is fully customizable, so you will be able to control every aspect of this app or use the default settings. Let’s dive into this Bitdefender 2018 review and see everything it has to offer.
Bitdefender 2018 vs 2017 - What’s new?
Bitdefender introduced new versions of Total Security, Internet Security, and Antivirus Plus in July of 2017. There are many changes which make them different from the previous editions. If you are already using Bitdefender, you can download the update from the official website; it will automatically replace the version on your device.
What are the new features you get with this 2018 update?
- All three products have Advanced Threat Defense, which takes protection to a whole new level. It can defend your computer in real time and eliminate threats without notifying you. Of course, you will be informed if your computer is under ransomware attack; that is the only exception. It will work silently in the background, monitor suspicious activity, and remove applications that might be causing trouble.
- Many users forget about the fact that their webcams can be hijacked. Luckily, Bitdefender Internet Security and Total Security have a feature that keeps a close eye on applications trying to gain access to your webcam. Bitdefender created a list of programs that have access to your webcam by default, but you can add your own as well.
- In the last couple of years, ransomware has become probably the biggest threat to your computer security, so Bitdefender introduced Safe Files. All Bitdefender software has this feature, which will protect your documents from ransomware encryption. If an application tries to gain access to the protected folders, you will be notified via a pop-up. Of course, you will be able to create new folders and add them to the list if they need protection from ransomware. Simply open the main interface and click on View Features to see which folders are guarded by Bitdefender.
- Bitdefender Internet Security and Total Security feature an improved firewall which is now super easy to use. You can quickly switch between Stealth and Paranoid modes, and it will allow you to view a list of the last 15 processes. You can manage them easily and edit the permissions when needed. Unfortunately, Antivirus Plus did not get this feature with the latest version.
- Most importantly, Total Security, Internet Security, and Antivirus Plus will be updated automatically from now on. Therefore, you don’t need to go to their website to download the newest version of the software; everything will be done within the app. This is more convenient for users and your computer will be protected at all times.
Bitdefender 2018 Included Products:
No.1. Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2018 Features
Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2018 is for Windows only and delivers first-rate protection against outside threats which might be trying to access your computer. On a single subscription, you can install it on up to three computers. Local Network Security Advisor is a great addition that will increase security, while Vulnerability Assessment will allow you to monitor your computer continuously.
The ransomware protection works on several levels, ensuring that both your data and your files are safe. It also has Safe Banking, Password Manager, and File Shredder. Don’t forget that Antivirus Plus 2018 will filter out spam on social media and remove it accordingly. We have already mentioned that Bitdefender 2018 will not slow down your computer while it works in the background, but we also have to point out that Antivirus Plus 2018 has a battery saving option which will run on even less power if you cannot recharge your laptop at a given time.
No.2. Bitdefender Internet Security 2018 Features
Bitdefender Internet Security 2018 works on Windows only and has some new features that will add an extra layer of protection to your devices. The firewall was updated and now works in two directions, monitoring the outgoing connections in case some type of malware is trying to establish one from your device. You can run it in Battery Mode if you are low on power.
Bitdefender Internet Security 2018 also has advanced Webcam Protection so you can view and edit the list of apps which have access to it. Of course, ransomware protection is included in this package as well, keeping your most important files shielded and protected from hackers. It features Parental Advisor so you can control the content your children view online and block unwanted websites remotely. You will also get the Safe Online Banking feature and Password Manager, which means your private information will not be stolen or misused.
No.3. Bitdefender Total Security 2018 Features
Bitdefender Total Security 2018 is really a full package because it offers protection for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. Depending on your subscription, you can use it on five to 10 devices. It has numerous features, such as an updated firewall, Parental Advisor, Multi-Layer Ransomware Protection, Password Manager, etc.
We have to mention the anti-theft option which will allow you to remotely access any device connected to your Bitdefender. If you lose your laptop or tablet, simply launch Bitdefender Central and you can find your device anywhere in the world. Safe Files is another new feature that can protect files or folders which might be interesting to hackers. Simply add the folder to the watch list and Bitdefender 2018 will protect it from ransomware or malware.
If you want to completely delete a file from your computer, File Shredder can do it for you. It will remove any file from your device without the possibility of recovery. There is also Webcam Protection that will prevent unauthorized apps from accessing your webcam. When a program wants to use your webcam, you will get a notification. You can add or remove apps from the list of authorized programs to protect your privacy.
No.4. Bitdefender Family Pack 2018 Features
Just like the name suggests, Bitdefender Family Pack 2018 is designed to keep your entire family safe. It can be installed on Windows, Mac, Android, or iOS, so Family Pack will be useful to you on any device in your home. In addition to the standard anti-malware properties, Family Pack is also anti-ransomware and can protect your files and data.
What makes this app so useful for parents is the fact that they can monitor their children’s online activity with the Parental Advisor option. The filters will remove inappropriate content and you can also limit the time your child spends online. Plus, it will block dangerous links from social media platforms which might pose a threat to your devices. You will be able to shop online without worrying that your financial information will get into the wrong hands. The Safepay option will keep your credit card number safe and will fill out every bill automatically.
Other Bitdefender 2018 Questions:
Bitdefender for Mac
As you might have guessed, Bitdefender is available for Apple devices as well. If you want to use Bitdefender on your Mac computer, you have two options – Bitdefender for Mac or Total Security 2018. Both options will protect your computer and keep it running smoothly without any problems. Of course, there are some differences between these two applications, but they can deliver excellent performance and security for your Mac computer.
Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac can work continuously when you put it on the Autopilot, and it will protect you from any type of malware. Most importantly, it has ransomware protection as well. Antivirus for Mac will work in the background and remove any applications that might have a negative impact on the performance of your computer. And since Mac computers are known for their speed, we also have to mention that your computer will not slow down once you install Bitdefender for Mac.
On the other hand, Total Security 2018 is made for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. You are free to use it on any of these platforms, so you can protect multiple devices. It might not have all the features included in Antivirus for Mac, but it does have Webcam Protection which will keep your privacy safe and which offers slightly better anti-ransomware measures that will allow you to secure your files in separate folders. They cannot be easily accessed and you will get a notification informing you of any suspicious activity on your computer in real time.
Which Bitdefender 2018 Is Right For You?
Bitdefender has already made a name for itself because it is fast, reliable, and usable on multiple operating systems. However, it does have several editions to choose from depending on your needs and the number of devices you want to protect.
Our Bitdefender 2018 review analyzed the features of each version, but which one should you select?
- Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2018 will provide you with basic features such as Advanced Threat Defense, Multi-Layer Ransomware Protection, Password Manager, File Shredder, etc. It lacks some useful options like Firewall, Webcam Protection, File Encryption, and Anti-Theft, which are very important to a large number of users. We also have to emphasize that Antivirus Plus 2018 cannot be used on Mac computers, iOS, or Android devices. If you have a computer that runs on Windows and needs minimal protection, this one is for you.
- Bitdefender Internet Security 2018 packs more as compared to Antivirus Plus 2018. It is designed for Windows only, so it cannot be installed on Mac computers or any other devices. However, it features Webcam Protection which will prevent unauthorized access to your camera, Parental Advisor which will allow you to keep a close eye on your children’s online activity, an updated firewall that works both ways, and Safe Files which can protect entire folders filled with the most important files on your computer.
- Bitdefender Total Security 2018 can be used on any device you have, so it is ideal for families that use multiple computers or tablets, regardless of the operating system. It works on Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. It has all the useful features from Internet Security 2018 and Antivirus Plus 2018, with some extras such as Anti-Theft that can help you access your device wherever it is and that give you the ability to optimize your computer to work at the highest speed possible.
- Finally, Bitdefender Family Pack 2018 includes Bitdefender Total Security 2018 and Bitdefender Mobile Security. This will protect all of your family devices. If you have large devices in your family (laptop, computer, smartphone), we recommend you chose this product.
How to Upgrade Bitdefender to Bitdefender 2018
If you are using some of the older editions of Bitdefender, such as the one from 2016, you can upgrade it to the latest version as long as you have a valid subscription. The update must be done manually, so it will take you a couple of minutes to get everything set up. Keep in mind that if you have Bitdefender 2017, an automatic update will be available in late August of 2017. However, if you are eager to try Bitdefender 2018, you can follow these instructions as well.
If you have Bitdefender 2016 or an older version, you need to go to Bitdefender Central and download the new edition. The next step should be to restart your computer. Then click on Install and follow the instructions. Click on Start using Bitdefender at the end of the install process and that’s it. Your computer will be protected with the brand-new Bitdefender 2018.
Bitdefender 2018 is a well-rounded antivirus software that will effortlessly protect any device out there from every possible threat. With an improved firewall and superb ransomware defense, you can be certain that nothing will get past it. Additionally, Bitdefender 2018 will not have any impact on the speed or performance of your computer.
Selecting the best package depends on the number of devices that need protection and whether you want to include Parental Advisor. However, you can be certain that you will not make a wrong choice because Bitdefender 2018 has everything you need in terms of internet security right now.